[rescue] looking for DEC VT525

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Jan 11 18:11:16 CST 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 04:47:34PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2004, at 3:56 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >>   Understandable.  Are you looking for anything in particular?
> >
> >Do you have any relatively cheap bits of equipment you're no-longer
> >using
> >that could help me get started in the hardware end of the game?  Like
> >maybe a simple 5V/3.3V supply and a couple of breadboards?
>
>   I think I can get you some useful stuff.  Let me dig around a bit.

Wouldn't a radioshack universal power-supply (the wal-wort type with
switchable voltage) feding into a small voltage regulator (7405?  There
is a very common part, that I know I have a few of around here) be
adequate for many small projects?

> >  Perhaps some
> >interesting discrete logic bits that you're not using since you've gone
> >to microcontrollers and the like?
>
>   Well it's not exactly a one-or-the-other thing...as you'll soon see,
> discrete logic bits are a required part of most, if not all,
> microcontroller-based circuitry. :)  But I get what you mean.

Just as an example, I believe the boards we use at work are considered
by many people to be fairly sophisticated (6 layer PCBs, SH3 CPU, a
couple of 208pin surface mount packages, and many smaller SMT packages),
and we still are using a least two discreet logic inverter chips on one
board, and I believe we are using similar stuff on the other boards, but
I haven't looked at those parts of their schematics all that closely.

BTW, you can get really cheap stuff on ebay.  Including, several people
who package and sell their own little hobbiest kits.  That is currently
the route I'm taking for aquiring most parts at this point in time.