[rescue] looking for DEC VT525

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jan 11 18:35:01 CST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> Wouldn't a radioshack universal power-supply (the wal-wort type with
> switchable voltage) feding into a small voltage regulator (7405?  There
> is a very common part, that I know I have a few of around here) be
> adequate for many small projects?

About as adequate as vi is for a total computer newbie trying to write a
letter to grandma.  Yeah, it'll get the job done, but there's quite a
chance that I'll get frustrated enough trying to get it to work that'll
throw up my hands and not touch hardware for another 5 years.

> BTW, you can get really cheap stuff on ebay.  Including, several people
> who package and sell their own little hobbiest kits.  That is currently
> the route I'm taking for aquiring most parts at this point in time.

I'll look into that, but (to me) there's a HUGE difference between
someone utterly clueless (like me) poking around on eBay and seeing what
people who want me to buy their stuff are trying to tell me that I need,
versus asking the advice of someone who's been there and won't try to
screw me over by selling me silicon snake-oil.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Some people grow out of the petty theft of
Elgin, TX         (   childhood.  Others grow up to be CEOs and