[rescue] looking for DEC VT525

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jan 11 18:22:31 CST 2004

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Hmm.  I have much to learn.  But that's okay.  Learning is fun!

There are two chips you might be interested in. The first is the Z8. It
is sort of the great grandson of the Z80 chip from the 70's.

It comes in many forms, but they all have some sort of I/O, ram and rom.
ALMOST everything you want to interface to such as serial, parallel,
A/D, D/A, etc are on some version of the chip.

A complete evaluation kit costs about $40. There is tons of documentation
and software on the web.

BTW, I probably will be looking to hire a Z8 programer, inquire within.

The other chip is called an ARM chip. Again there are many variations, made
by such diverse companies as Philips and Intel. They all are processors
(I think without I/O) and use very little power. Almost every PDA has
an ARM chip in it.

There are lots of ARM evaluation kits, here's one I saw (but know nothing
about) http://arm.web7days.com/.

If you are looking for something that is what you know, I'm about to
get from Tiawan via the U,K. A really neat X86 board. 3.5" form factor,
600mHz PII equivalent, serial, parallel, ide, floppy, 10/100 ethernet,
128m ram onboard, laptop DIMM socket, compact flash socket, high res
display (up to 65m vram), VGA/LCD/TV out, 2d/3d graphics accelerator,
MPEG-1 and 2 decoder, 5.1 AC97 audio. Draws about 1 amp at 5v max,
no fan needed.

Price from the U.K, 200 quid including VAT in single quantities.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: geoffrey_mendelson at hotmail.com (Not for email)