[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 30 15:26:40 CDT 2004

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 @ 14:36 -0400, Dave McGuire said:

> >But understand that the original argument I presented was that
> >replacing PCs with workstations was hard because PCs are cheap power.
>
>   ...but not too much power.

The average PC has more than enough power to do anything but games.

We've really reached the point where the end user market is saturated
with power, despite M$ and KDE/Gnome trying their best to absorb it all.

I mean, I used to write all my papers with an 8-bit Atari.  Need is a
highly relative term... :)

>   The average joe doesn't use eBay?  That's pretty funny.  My aunt uses
> eBay all the time, and until recently, she wasn't even aware that she
> was using the Internet to get to it.

The population of eBay users is tiny compared to the population of
Wal-Mart/Best Buy/CompUSA users.

> >I don't think you can currently get a workstation solution installed
> >that won't cost a lot more than PCs of the same power.  You can't eBay
> >for that many machines.  FOr that matter, getting 20 might be hard.
>
>   Bullshit.  There are frequently large lots of identical machines on
> eBay.

People doing corporate desktop support can't always wait for a mass sale
on eBay.  Frequently does not translate to "whenever I need them".

If you get an order for 500 desktops in 4 weeks, you have to start
ordering *today* or you won't get them in time.

Most shops are already going to balk on you because of the sofware
issues.  If you get them over that hurdle, the next one is price.  They
can get the PCs for $1200 each that will do the job.  You may or may not
get a workstation for that price, depending on what you can convince
them to buy.

Remember the idea is to introduce completely ignorant people to an
alternative, without being able to win them over on technical merits.

> eBay is a favorite means of disposal for leasing companies.  A
> company a few miles from my old house, in fact, sold FOUR HUNDRED
> Ultra60s in one lot last summer.

>   You are stuck in the "PCs are cheaper" cargo cult.  I would try to
> help you,

No, I'm not.  That's your current misinterpretation.

You have a reality distortion field that would make Steve Jobs jealous.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every