[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Apr 30 13:42:43 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:16:00PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Consider that you want to wean a group of 500 users off of PCs.
>
> Let's say they all have Athlon systems like mine.  Fairly fast, but they
> want something faster, or whatever.
>
> Where am I going to find 500 UNIX workstations that will meet
> the criteria:
>
> * they will be faster at their desktop apps
> * they can run the applications they need
> * the cost will be in line with a decent PC upgrade
>
> To avoid an applications issue, assume they currently run Linux.

If I had to manage 500 PC users, my first thought would be to move them
to some sort of thing client and invest in huge servers.

For general desktop apps that should really scream.

What is the upgrade budget?  $500,000?  $750,000?  That should be able
to easily get you a nice stack of SunRays and big sun servers.

Plus, you can probably lay off some of the IT staff.