x86 vs real workstations WAS: [rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Apr 30 15:53:45 CDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Caleb Shay wrote:
> > Well, my faster x86 box primarily does music and runs its TV card so
> > that I don't miss Adult Swim.
>
> Yeah, I've got a linux box that does that too, it's called a Tivo :)

Yeah, but aren't Tivos still using a powerpc cpu?

I still have just the single original model standalone Tivo,
and I bought lifetime service on it when it was still transferrable
(once) and I intend to to keep using it until it dies.  I've done
a few hacks/upgrades and Tivo has updated the software a few times,
but it still runs like a champ.  I'd like to do the ram upgrade,
but I'm afraid of breaking it.  When I move I'll probably pick
up a couple of Directivos because obviously they offer something
not possible on my current piece of hardware, but damn am I ever glad
I bought my Tivo.  I've turned a number of people onto them by
demonstration (Their commercials just SUCK, IMHO (boy howdy!)).

-DanD

# "Everything in excess!  To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
#  Moderation is for monks."  -Lazarus Long