[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 30 13:03:12 CDT 2004

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 @ 12:30 -0400, Joshua Boyd said:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 12:08:21PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > > The idea that "PCs make cheaper desktop machines" is bullshit.
> >
> > Let's look at a middle-ground, garden variety PC:
> >
> > * 2GHz Athlon
> > * 512MB RAM
> > * current sweet-spot (cost versus speed) nVidia or Radeon graphics
> > * 64-bit PCI SCSI, dual channel
> > * pair of fast drives
>
> That's garden variety?  Around here that would could as a hot-rodded
> high end PC.

Same around here, but that isn't a big deal any more in the PC market.

In ComUSA and Best Buy locally you can now buy machines with 2-3GHz
CPUs.

If you buy individual parts, the sweet spot for Athlon CPUs seems to be
around 1.4GHz.  After that the price climbs.

The other day a friend of mine went to one of the local superstores and
walked out with this:

* 3GHz P4 CPU
* 1 gigabyte of RAM
* 180GB hard drive
* 256MB graphics card

You *need* GHz on an Intel to get speed, and the systems are horribly
out-of-balance.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.