x86 vs real workstations WAS: [rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Fri Apr 30 15:32:41 CDT 2004

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Caleb Shay wrote:
>

>>>Well, my faster x86 box primarily does music and runs its TV card so
>>>that I don't miss Adult Swim.
>>>

>>Yeah, I've got a linux box that does that too, it's called a Tivo :)
>>

>Rebirth RB-338 and Cakewalk don't run well on Tivos. :)

I run all my audio applications right now off a Windows machine. Long
time ago I invested into
Cubase VST and lots of plugins for x86 as I could not afford a beefy
apple machine. Now I have
a beefy dual G4 and am still stuck with all those windows plugins. I
slowly try to migrate. So far
my apple at least is now performing the tasks of a Final Cut Pro and
Ableton Live 3 machine.
Cubase still runs on the x86 and it pisses me off every day I use it. Oh
well.....

>>I love linux.  On the other hand, I love Irix too, which many people say
>>makes me brain damaged.
>>

>People say that about me because I like Windows more than I like Linux.
>To each, his own.

The only system running linux in my house is my Tivo. Then there is 1
dooz box, 2 osx and the rest
is running freebsd...