ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Apr 23 22:51:38 CDT 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 20:29, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2004, at 7:23 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> >> Most big companies use some kind of FC SAN.  If you buy stuff off
> >> eBay FC is also affordable for home since FC disks seem to be
> >> inexpensive. The only thing you'd need would be a FC backplane (or
> >> use T-cards) to connect the drives.
> >
> > FC generally sucks, due to its lack of standardiztion.  It's easy
> > to find gear, switches, and enclosures/drives that don't work
> > together, although this should be getting better.
>
>    Ehhh?  I'm sorry to keep disagreeing with you Patrick, as I have a
> great deal of respect for you.  But this is the second message from
> you in as many days that has me hearing the theme from "The Twilight
> Zone".

I think this time I was speaking a bit out of my ass here.  Dammit, I
hate it when I do that. :(

Anyhow, I've been told that FC has problems with standardization, but it
might just be that old stuff didn't work well together or something
like that.

>    FC is in fact very well standardized; pretty much everything works
> with pretty much everything else.  I've spent the past two years
> throwing any ol' vendor's FC disks into three different kinds of FC
> chassis with about four different kinds of HBAs.  It all Just Works.

I'm glad to hear it.  I haven't yet gotten to play with any FC stuff
(other than a Sun SSA, and I'm not sure if that counts).  I hope to be
impressed after I get my 6.2TB of FC storage down from Chicago on
Monday (or perhaps later, depending on when I get time to play with it.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org