ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Apr 26 12:11:16 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:08:21PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:

> Most big companies use some kind of FC SAN.  If you buy stuff off eBay
> FC is also affordable for home since FC disks seem to be inexpensive.
> The only thing you'd need would be a FC backplane (or use T-cards) to
> connect the drives.

BTW, Chris Kalisiak seems to have both t-cards and backplanes pretty
cheaply.  Not as cheap as I'd like, but cheaper than I've seen them most
other places.  A bunch of us have dealt with him before without any
complaints (I've gotten two computers from him).

See:
http://www.ckcomputersystems.com/ckcs/catalog/default.php

> The new SATA and serial SCSI look interesting since SATA uses the SCSI
> command set (and IIRC can be connected to serial SCSI controllers, but
> I could have that backwards).  The only drawback with SATA is the one
> drive/controller limit.

So, SATA is like ATAPI over a serial line?