ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 23 20:29:41 CDT 2004

On Apr 23, 2004, at 7:23 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>> Most big companies use some kind of FC SAN.  If you buy stuff off
>> eBay FC is also affordable for home since FC disks seem to be
>> inexpensive. The only thing you'd need would be a FC backplane (or
>> use T-cards) to connect the drives.
>
> FC generally sucks, due to its lack of standardiztion.  It's easy to
> find gear, switches, and enclosures/drives that don't work together,
> although this should be getting better.

   Ehhh?  I'm sorry to keep disagreeing with you Patrick, as I have a
great deal of respect for you.  But this is the second message from you
in as many days that has me hearing the theme from "The Twilight Zone".

   FC is in fact very well standardized; pretty much everything works
with pretty much everything else.  I've spent the past two years
throwing any ol' vendor's FC disks into three different kinds of FC
chassis with about four different kinds of HBAs.  It all Just Works.

          -Dave