[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Thu Apr 22 15:07:31 CDT 2004

Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:53:23PM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> I don't have a U10 handy, but I do have a U5 with IDE, and I can tell
> you that programs other than web browsers can certainly load files from
> disk faster than they can from the net work.

I never said it was faster to load *a* file faster from the net than
local disk.  I said turn off disk cache for better browser performance.
This implies that memory cache is still active and forces the browser
to use it.  Since memory cache is much faster than disk or net, that
should be preferred unless memory is very tight or bandwidth is
extremely low (i.e. dialup) and therefore persistency between sessions
is desirable.

That said it would be interesting to compare turning off all caching
and compare to only disk cache.  You might be surprised at the
results.  Latency, especially with IDE disk under simultaneous
accesses(like populating a busy web page) is much
more important than raw bandwidth.