[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 17, Issue 112

Ross Bernheim rossber at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 20 00:36:49 CDT 2004

On Monday, April 19, 2004, at 10:10 PM, rescue-request at sunhelp.org
wrote:

> Would I be better off with a 1.6GHz G5 or a Dual 1.25GHz G4?
> What is the best sub-$500 method of getting SVideo into a modern Mac?
> Is there an Open Source video capture package?  I am not looking for
> video editing, I have a single PTZ Sony camera mounted in the back of
> the sanctuary, just want to record services.

The Cannopus DV bridge will let you take the analog video from the
camera
and converts it to DV and pumps it into the Mac via Firewire. The
Cannopus
keeps the audio in sync with the video which is why it is recommended.
Check
Apple's on-line store, local Apple store, or other on-line store.
Should be about
$300. I have one and am using with my Linux box at the moment. If you
have
firewire out from the camera, that will do the job directly into the
Mac.

> I have done some googling, but haven't found much, anybody know about
> any web sites relating to computer video capture in live settings?
>
> I am in a bit over my head here, the next step is going to represent a
> good chunk of money, and I need to get it right the first time.
>
> And while I am on the topic, does anybody know a package that can take
> simple presentation (currently powerpoint, with just song lyrics) and
> an
> audio track and give me back a mpeg movie?  I would like to get this
> stuff platform neutral, which powerpoint isn't.

For $20 or $20 you can upgrade Quicktime to Quicktime Pro and that can
do a lot of what you want along with iMovie and iDVD. Both come with a
new
Mac or are parts of the iLife collection for $50.

Ross Bernheim

** Doing a job RIGHT the first time gets the job done. Doing the job
    WRONG fourteen times gives you job security.

** Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

** A person who smiles in the face of adversity...probably has a
    scapegoat.

** If at first you don't succeed, try management.

** Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment