[rescue] Recommendations for fairly heterogenous clustering

Torquil MacCorkle, III torquil at chemist.com
Mon Apr 19 23:38:05 CDT 2004

Hello,

    In the next few weeks I will hopefully be picking up a metric buttload
of IPXes (i think like 17-18, but let us just say 10 for our purposes), all
have between 64 and 128mb of RAM, and some have the weitek upgrade and some
don't.  With these I hope to be a fairly nice cluster.  None of them have
drives, so I hope to run them all diskless.  Can anyone recommend some good
software and resources for my situation in general?  (Planning on NetBSD as
the OS for the IPXes at least).  I have constructed clusters before, but
they were wildly homogenous (think like, a P3 750 and a 486/33)(and
therefore slower than doing it on just one of the computers in that case
(pvmpov)).  What will the performance be like on this cluster, and how will
the slight differences in RAM and weiteklessness affect it?  What sort of
specs should the system controlling (the 'host') have?  MPI or PVM (or both
I suppose) and does anyone know of some good programs and tasks for this?

Any replies are appreciated, and let me know if I made any mistakes in the
above, I haven't slept in a couple days so incoherence probability is at a
maximium.

--
Thanks,
Torquil MacCorkle, III