[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Apr 18 08:39:20 CDT 2004

Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
[...]
> What about a pure consumption tax? Oh, that is abusive to low-income
> people.

In the UK, different levels of VAT are charged depending on the item. The
zero-rated items are "essentials" like basic foods, books, and children's
clothing. A lower rate of 5% applies to fuel (gas, electric, petrol,
diesel). 17.5% applies to everything else.

I like books being zero-rated. It makes one of my hobbies 15% cheaper than
it would be otherwise.

There's a popular tax scam where VAT can be reduced by publishing a magazine
that is provided with a service such as internet access or subscription TV
and putting a high cover price on the rag. So your #10 service includes a #4
magazine, meaning that VAT only has to be paid on #6 - an instant 40% tax
saving.

It goes without saying that the magazines are soft, strong, and very long.

--
Put it back in the horse!
		- H. Allen Smith, after he drank his first American beer