[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 20 18:46:50 CDT 2004

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 @ 13:23 +0000, Lionel Peterson said:

> > you have kids... you get no breaks (No more problem with welfare
> > moms...)
>
> I'm sure welfare moms get pregnant dreaming of the $1,000 DEDUCTION
> they are not entitled to, since they don't pay taxes, they're on
> WELFARE, remember?

No, but they do get earned income credit, which amounts to free money.

I used to do income taxes and I processed a lot of welfare queens'
taxes.  I sometimes had to write checks to people who did nothing at
$10K and higher.

This was on top of the what they got as welfare.  A lot more if you
count things like food stamps.

Many of them made more money sitting on their keesters than some of my
friends made working hard, myself included.

> Flat tax? It's a trick, the majority won't trust it.

A trick?

> Abusive tax rate? High-earners leave, putting a bigger burden on those
> at the lower end of the spectrum.

Definitely.

> Sliding tax rate with many opportunities to deduct income - financial darwinisim - only the smart "succeed" (they study the tax code and arrange their financial matters accordingly)... ANd yes, bing rich and hiring a smart person to do your taxes does qualify you as "smart"

I'm pretty smart, but I have to make the decision between spending time
on tax code, which might backfire mightily, or spending it on just
making more money.

It's a waste of time and shouldn't be necessary.

I've so far never had a year where itemized deductions helped.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The object of war is not to die for your
country but to make the other bastard die for his." -- General George S.