[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Apr 17 18:13:04 CDT 2004

On Apr 17, 2004, at 7:03 PM, Nick wrote:

> That's a nice theory.  The only problem is they don't pay the same tax
> rate we do... they pay a lawyer or accountant to find tax shelters for
> them, and pay 1% tax or less.  Is that fair?  A single mother making
> 20k
> a year pays More Taxes than microsoft did last year?  And the year
> before?  I pay more taxes than the average lawyer making 200k?  (I make
> less than 50k)  Bit fucked up woudln't you say?
> 	Nick

My theory is that you should have 0 deductions.  You basically get
taxed at some formulaic rate based on position (company or individual)
and income or profit with additions for monopolies.

No saving money... no sheltering yourself... prepare to meet the solid
percentage TAX Cluebat.

You make 200 G's a year... you pay ${Hypothetical high num}%

You make less than 20G's a year... or something like minimum wage...
(i.e. below the cost of living for your area)... you pay 0

You make in the middle and pay ${sliding scale}%

Unlike the UK we can cap this at 50% or so... but I'm enough of a
bastard I'd love to see Bill Gates paying 99% taxes.

You are married/civilly united etc... you get no breaks (No more gay
marriage problem...)
you have kids... you get no breaks (No more problem with welfare
moms...)

Pure income and cost of living.

Done.

In fact... the government should figure out those two numbers... and
you shouldn't even have to file.  They could never pester you for more
money either.

Andrew