[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Nick nick at pelagiris.org
Sat Apr 17 18:03:27 CDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 03:34:03PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> > B. Why does someone who makes 200,000 a year need that deduction?
> That's wholly beside the point.
>
> It's not that they "need" a "deduction".  It's that THEY EARNED THAT
> MONEY.  Taxation should be consistent and even.  "From each according to
> his ability, to each according to his need" is NOT a capitalistic idea.
>
> If I bust my ass and make six digits a year, I want as LITTLE as possible
> of that money to go towards supporting freeloaders who -didn't-
> sacrifice sleep and time with their families to get there.  I'll give to
> church or charity to help those in need.  I DO NOT trust the gov't to be
> nearly as efficient or intelligent about it.
That's a nice theory.  The only problem is they don't pay the same tax
rate we do... they pay a lawyer or accountant to find tax shelters for
them, and pay 1% tax or less.  Is that fair?  A single mother making 20k
a year pays More Taxes than microsoft did last year?  And the year
before?  I pay more taxes than the average lawyer making 200k?  (I make
less than 50k)  Bit fucked up woudln't you say?
	Nick