[rescue] Computerfests (was: first real server hardware)

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Sun Apr 18 10:54:54 CDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> My theory is that you should have 0 deductions.  You basically get
> taxed at some formulaic rate based on position (company or individual)
> and income or profit with additions for monopolies.
>
> No saving money... no sheltering yourself... prepare to meet the solid
> percentage TAX Cluebat.

Wow, goodbye charitable contributions.  Your method will significantly
drop the budgets of organizations that do a lot of work helping
people.

You don't really want that, do you?

> You make 200 G's a year... you pay ${Hypothetical high num}%
> You make less than 20G's a year... or something like minimum wage...
> (i.e. below the cost of living for your area)... you pay 0
> You make in the middle and pay ${sliding scale}%

So you want to penalize people for being successful?

If I take time out of my already busy day to either work extra
hours or get a second job to better help ends meet, not only
does that extra income take a serious toll on my time and energy,
but I should be rewarded by having to pay taxes at a higher
RATE on that extra income than I pay on my other income?

What the fuck kind of sick mind thinks that is ok?

Why should any individual pay, for example, more than $100k a year
in taxes?  Do they receive more benefit for their money?  Is their
house more likely to burn down?  Are they likely to have more
children in school?  Do they need more ambulances or police cars
sent their way?  (In truth, they are LESS likely to require fire,
police, or ambulance and tend to have fewer in school.)

> Unlike the UK we can cap this at 50% or so... but I'm enough of a
> bastard I'd love to see Bill Gates paying 99% taxes.

At least you admit that doing so would be a bastardly thing to do.

So why do it?

> You are married/civilly united etc... you get no breaks (No more gay
> marriage problem...)

Umm... marriage PENALTY?  You don't get a break for being married.

The taxes come out higher.

-DanD

# Birth, Copulation, and Death. That's all the facts when you come
# to brass tacks.		-T. S. Elliot