[rescue] first real server hardware

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 16 10:50:15 CDT 2004

On Apr 16, 2004, at 11:42 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> Generally more modern, yes, but is it tons faster?
>
> I/O-wise?  Oh hell yes.  CPU-wise?  Not by much, but what good is a
> fast
> CPU if it starves on the Indigo2's memory bus?

   ...and the Indigo2's memory architecture *really* starves the
processor.  This was explained by someone in-the-know on this list a
LONG time ago (I don't recall who...James Lockwood maybe?)...I didn't
believe it until I benchmarked it myself.  I thought the R10K Indigo2
was a decent performer, then I used an Octane.  I nearly fell off my
chair.

   So yes, CPU-wise, the Octane is faster by a MILE.  Primarily due to
the memory bus.

        -Dave