[rescue] first real server hardware

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 16 10:42:42 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> How much better is an R10K/195 Octane than an R10K/195 Indigo2?

Lessee:
  * Indigo2 has fast-narrow SCSI.  Octane has ultra-wide.
  * Octane's memory bandwidth blows Indigo2's out of the water.
  * Indigo2 has 10baseT networking.  Octane has 100baseTX.
  * GIO64 and EISA are much slower than XIO and PCI.
  * Heat output is pretty-much equal.  Octane may be a little warmer.
  * Octane has ADAT, if that's your bag.

> Generally more modern, yes, but is it tons faster?

I/O-wise?  Oh hell yes.  CPU-wise?  Not by much, but what good is a fast
CPU if it starves on the Indigo2's memory bus?

This is the article you want:
     http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/octncomp.html

> Does it take a normal-for-old-SGI 13w3-connected SOG monitor?

Yep.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."