[rescue] car insurance (was) Current collections...

James james at jdfogg.com
Fri Apr 9 10:18:20 CDT 2004

> In what state is insurance not required?  In Florida, they try to
> suspend your license if you even own a registered car that's not
> insured.

New Hampshire, the Live Free or Die state. No vehicle or operator insurance
required. There is one or two other states that don't require it either.
This doesn't absolve you from meeting other state's requirements for
insurance though. Technically any vehicle that is legal in one state can
operate in another (called vehicular reciprocity), but Vermont will arrest a
NH driver if they cannot show a current insurance certificate. In
Massachusetts, they offer reciprocity.

> I firmly believe that insurance should be required for all car
> driven on public streets, but i do believe their method of
> enforcing it is asinine.

New Hampshire is an anachronism, we strongly consider all aspects of things
before we act (usually). Every time mandatory insurance comes up we look at
these facts:
a) our insurance is no more or less expensive than any other state's
b) our insurance has heavy coverage for damage (both physical and bodily)
cause by uninsured.
c) people should be responsible for their own shit.
d) if you screw the pooch without ins. its your stupidity and you suffer.

I had bodily injury caused by an uninsured and I was able to get as much
ins. settlement from my OWN insurer as I would have been able to get from
the other parties if they had insurance.

The bottom line is this, if you want to enjoy the comfort and security of
insurance, you are free to go spend your cash and buy some, but don't make
me buy any just so you can feel comfortable.

And, to add fuel to this fire, NH is also one of the very few states without
a motorcyle helmet law. It has similar sentiments as the insurance laws.

If this thread expands it should move to geeks, please consider this if you
post a reply.