[rescue] car insurance (was) Current collections...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Apr 9 10:44:07 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 11:18:20AM -0400, James wrote:

> I had bodily injury caused by an uninsured and I was able to get as much
> ins. settlement from my OWN insurer as I would have been able to get from
> the other parties if they had insurance.

>From the sounds of it, one would need a comprehensive plan rather than
just liability (I'm assuming those are fairly stardard terms, but in
case not, I'm in PA).  That can double or triple the insurance cost, and
in this state, having anything more than liability doesn't make sense
for older cars.

Now, my understanding is that in this state insurance isn't strictly
required.  If I recall (and understood correctly) you can drive without
insurance if you file paperwork with the state and put up a fairly large
bond (I think maybe $100k).

On a side note, these last three years, I've been coming to really
loathe car insurance companies.

Someone ran into my wife a few months ago, and that ladies insurance
company won't pay since there was no police report (yes, my wife now
knows to always get a police report).  I'm exploringoptions of going
after them in small claims court.  My insurance company is being no help
here.

> The bottom line is this, if you want to enjoy the comfort and security of
> insurance, you are free to go spend your cash and buy some, but don't make
> me buy any just so you can feel comfortable.

Hey, if you don't want insurance, that's fine.  Just have a way to pay
up if you screw up big time.

> And, to add fuel to this fire, NH is also one of the very few states without
> a motorcyle helmet law. It has similar sentiments as the insurance laws.

PA requires a helmet for the first two years of your motorcycle license,
then after that it is up to you if you want to wear one.