[rescue] Re: NetApps

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Thu Apr 8 13:15:12 CDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Kevin wrote:
> I do agree that it is a bandaid, but i don't have access to a
> hospital.  And you will NEVER find anyone who agrees more on
> the fact that "EMAIL IS NOT A FILE TRANSFER MECHANISM."  To a
> great deal of the uninformed the internet has two ports, 80 and
> 25.

$WORK sent everyone a similar email about renaming .zip files.
I think the concern here is not that the mechanism can be bypassed,
but that $WORK is telling everyone how to do it.

> I'm constantly harping on this (and HTML based email) when people
> bitch at me for having a 2 meg (which i think is very generous)
> limit on emails.

I use a procmail recipe near the bottom in my personal email accounts
that stuffs all inbound html email into my maybespam file.  It's almost
always right.

Your 2MB limit would block plenty of the emails I get at work informing
me that the freezer will be cleaned out Friday or it's someone's
birthday/anniversary/retirement and Cake Will Be Served in all
their multi-color clip art glory.  At least the cake is pretty good
and the freezer cleaning one had penguins.

> All that being said, i'm not interested in spending two hours on
> the phone with an ex-Aurthur Andersen consultant trying to
> explain the basics of FTP or SCP.

If you listened carefully, you could probably hear a *whooshing*
noise.

-DanD

# I once put instant coffee in a microwave and went back in time.