[rescue] Re: NetApps

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 14:58:26 CDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:15:12 -0600 (MDT), Dan Duncan wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Kevin wrote:
> > I do agree that it is a bandaid, but i don't have access to a
> > hospital.  And you will NEVER find anyone who agrees more on
> > the fact that "EMAIL IS NOT A FILE TRANSFER MECHANISM."  To a

I'll admit that I've been known to email *small* attachments to small
numbers of people. But I usually email them a URL which is generated by
a brain-dead(*) script that allows users to upload their files and email
URL's instead.

(* well it was written by me, so it's certainly brain-dead.)

> > All that being said, i'm not interested in spending two hours on
> > the phone with an ex-Aurthur Andersen consultant trying to
> > explain the basics of FTP or SCP.
>
> If you listened carefully, you could probably hear a *whooshing*
> noise.

I could swear it was more like a distant echo.

It's strange how "if your techies can't understand ssh, we're not
letting them work on *our* systems" seems to concentrate minds. And that
phrase was used by the management (I've got 'em well trained).