[rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Apr 5 12:11:39 CDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 12:59:30PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2004, at 9:05 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> >>Damn, man, save some for the rest of us! 8-)
> >
> >He is.  He is saving them from being destroyed, and preserving the
> >knowledge of how to run them.
>
>   Well yes, but not too many J90s get scrapped, unless they come from
> gov't facilities.  In supercomputer terms, they're just not that old
> yet.  But they will be...and we need to grab them *now*.

Yes, but what happens to the machines that are sold in non working
condition on ebay for $2.5-$4k?  How many of them will just sit in
storage until they rot or are scrapped?

> >Now, if only he would share the ones he's saved more. ;)
>
>   How would you propose I do that? ;)  I'm working on drumming up the
> cash for the new air conditioner in the computer room.  When that
> happens, I will have the ability to run more of these machines.

I was really just kidding.  Notice the ;).

Posting documentation online would be way cool though, but probably too
labor intensive given your amount of free time.