[rescue] New acquisition... (AIX)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 5 12:31:44 CDT 2004

On Apr 5, 2004, at 1:11 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Yes, but what happens to the machines that are sold in non working
> condition on ebay for $2.5-$4k?  How many of them will just sit in
> storage until they rot or are scrapped?

   Well unfortunately, that's very true.  I grabbed one that only
narrowly escaped the scrapper...It had had a lot of parts stolen from
it, and I used it for spares & expansion of my first machine.  The key
is to grab them...no matter what the condition...because with enough
spares (which I have) and software (no comment) they can be brought
back to life.

   Not too many people know how to boot those machines (it's not a
simple process) and even fewer people have access to Unicos.  Since
wiping the disks at deinstallation time is the last "responsibility" of
the Cray support contract, Unicos is very difficult to come by.

>>> Now, if only he would share the ones he's saved more. ;)
>>
>>   How would you propose I do that? ;)  I'm working on drumming up the
>> cash for the new air conditioner in the computer room.  When that
>> happens, I will have the ability to run more of these machines.
>
> I was really just kidding.  Notice the ;).

   I know...but I was serious. :)  I'd love to see what a mind like
yours could come up with if given access to a vector super.

> Posting documentation online would be way cool though, but probably too
> labor intensive given your amount of free time.

   You mean docs I've obtained, or information I would write?  I've
already written up some stuff on YMP-EL systems...I would like to do
the same for the J90 systems as well.

           -Dave