[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Fri Apr 2 11:39:59 CST 2004

I have to second this.  I've had several Slackware boxes on the
new for three years now and have had no issues.  I've even had
two RedHat 7.1 boxes online for two years with no problems
(though they did take more work to secure than the Slackware
boxen.)

99.9% of the stuff i had to patch, i would've had to have patched
no matter what version of *nix it was (apache, openssh, openssl,
BIND and so forth.)

There have been a couple of kernel patches in the past 12
months or so, and i did patch my kernels, but these were both
for hacks that were unlikely to happen.

/KRM

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:21:51 -0500 (EST)
Linc Fessenden <linc at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 03:10:59PM +0000, Peter Corlett
> > wrote:
> >
> > > and I admire anybody who's got the patience to beat Solaris
> > > into submission and isn't scared to put it anywhere near
> > > the Internet.
> >
> > Really?  I'm more comfortable putting Solaris on the net than
> > I am linux.  And system administration is not my trade
> > either, and linux is what I spend 8 to 24 hours a day staring
> > at._______________________________________________
> >

> I hear this kind of comment quite a bit and I have to say that
> since I know you to be a competent admin, you *must* be using a
> really bad incarnation of Linux.  I have had a bunch of
> Slackware boxes on the net for *years* without 1 single
> problem.  I simply turned off the offending services (telnet,
> ftp, etc) slapped on chkrootkit, and portsentry, and I do the
> occasional upgrade of apache, openssl, and ssh and there ya
> have it.  I have seen every kind and type of attack trying to
> be applied and sent around in my logs but haven't had narry a
> problem because of it.
>
> The *ONLY* time any of my linux boxes were hacked or had any
> problem sitting on the net at all was once I was running a
> RedHat 6.1 box unsecured and sitting on a dial-up internet
> connection downloading an ISO over a weekend (yes this was many
> moons ago).  Someone found it (don't know how) and applied a
> rootkit.  I found the hack because the rootkit changed the
> output format of ps.
>
> -Linc Fessenden
>
> In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah

"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/