[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Fri Apr 2 11:21:51 CST 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 03:10:59PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
>
> > and I admire anybody who's got the patience to beat Solaris into submission
> > and isn't scared to put it anywhere near the Internet.
>
> Really?  I'm more comfortable putting Solaris on the net than I am
> linux.  And system administration is not my trade either, and linux is
> what I spend 8 to 24 hours a day staring at.

I hear this kind of comment quite a bit and I have to say that since I
know you to be a competent admin, you *must* be using a really bad
incarnation of Linux.  I have had a bunch of Slackware boxes on the net
for *years* without 1 single problem.  I simply turned off the offending
services (telnet, ftp, etc) slapped on chkrootkit, and portsentry, and I
do the occasional upgrade of apache, openssl, and ssh and there ya have
it.  I have seen every kind and type of attack trying to be applied and
sent around in my logs but haven't had narry a problem because of it.

The *ONLY* time any of my linux boxes were hacked or had any problem
sitting on the net at all was once I was running a RedHat 6.1 box
unsecured and sitting on a dial-up internet connection downloading an ISO
over a weekend (yes this was many moons ago).  Someone found it (don't
know how) and applied a rootkit.  I found the hack because the rootkit
changed the output format of ps.

-Linc Fessenden