[rescue] Oh no! This poor Origin server.....

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Fri Apr 2 12:01:51 CST 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Kevin wrote:

> I have to second this.  I've had several Slackware boxes on the
> new for three years now and have had no issues.  I've even had
> two RedHat 7.1 boxes online for two years with no problems
> (though they did take more work to secure than the Slackware
> boxen.)
>
> 99.9% of the stuff i had to patch, i would've had to have patched
> no matter what version of *nix it was (apache, openssh, openssl,
> BIND and so forth.)
>
> There have been a couple of kernel patches in the past 12
> months or so, and i did patch my kernels, but these were both
> for hacks that were unlikely to happen.
>
> /KRM

Yup, I have seen kernel patches and such come and go as well.  Ans to be
fair, I have seen a few warnings about this-or-that root exploits
available, BUT, the VAST majority of these problems occur with someone who
has an account on the box, and nobody has accounts on my machines that are
connected to the net.  They are on the net to offer up internet services
and not for someone to log into and play on.  I have workstations behind
my firewalls for that sort of thing :-)

-Linc Fessenden