[rescue] SunPCi 3 card

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Sep 26 10:28:14 CDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 01:32:57PM +0100, Chris Powell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone using a Sun PCi 3 card - this is the latest PC on an PCI
> card with a 1.4GHz Athlon.

> Just wondering if this would be a viable option for video editing
> (the card has a Firewire connection). Would be nice to constrain
> a PC into an Ultra 30 chassis :) I assume the card would work OK
> in an Ultra - specs only say the card is compatible with Blades.

Just give it a try.  It's just a PCI card, so it should either work or
not work, not damage anything.

As to video editing, I'd imagine that you can edit video on it.  How
well it would actually work depends on what you want out of it, and how
fast it can talk to disk, and to a lesser extent how fast it can update
the display.  I would hope it would be able to use the disk fast enough,
but no guaranties.  I'd expect Premiere to be unpleasant, but something
like Kino shouldn't be too bad if disk access is fast enough.  Kino is a
cuts only linux program, BTW.  Again, there's no harm in trying.