[rescue] IRIX 5.3 CD questions

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Wed Sep 17 10:26:18 CDT 2003

Hello Bjorn,

> So, by that you mean that it should be a 6.x version between 6.2 and 6.5
> that supports the Crimson? That particular set would probably be of
> value for the Crimson-owners out there, as beeing the final version for
> that machine.

  for all Crimsons except Crimson/GTX that should be a stock 6.2
  CD-Set (in fact I've successfully used "6.2 for R10000 Impact"). For
  Crimson/GTX the last version would be 5.3.

> I really never understood why they dropped the Crimson and kept all the
> others.

  They probably wanted IRIX to be free of the code inherited from the
  PowerSeries R3K days that was needed to support the Crimson. Don't
  know how much that is, but the Crimson was basically a one-board
  replacement for the older CPU/Memory board (+ R4K CPU).

  Speaking of the Crimson: I've seen claims on the net that it was the
  first (commercially available?) workstation with a 64bit CPU. Is
  that true?

Gerhard