[rescue] IRIX 5.3 CD questions

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Sep 17 08:35:32 CDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 03:27:33PM +0200, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> "Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:
> >
> > Irix 6.2 was a very wide spread version because it would run on anything
> > r4k and above, whereas 6.1, 6.3, and 6.4 were more targetted at
> > different specific machines.  6.5 was the next general release, but
> > alas, they dropped a few nice machines in that release, particularly the
> > crimson and indigo.
>
> So, by that you mean that it should be a 6.x version between 6.2 and 6.5
> that supports the Crimson? That particular set would probably be of

Well, I wouldn't say that 6.3 and 6.4 dropped the Crimson, It's just
that they didn't support much at all.  For instance, I believe you can
run 6.4 on an O2 but not and Onyx, but it's not that they dropped
support for the Onyx, they just hadn't yet done a roll-up release yet to
support all the supported machines in one release.  So, 6.2 was a
roll-up, or general, release, 6.3 and 6.4 were targetted releases for
specific machines, then 6.5 dropped Crimson support.  At least, that's
my understanding.  I don't have all of the machines to build a master
list of what was supported where, nor do I even have the CDs to be able
to say what SGI claims is supported where.