[rescue] IRIX 5.3 CD questions

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Wed Sep 17 12:33:04 CDT 2003

>   Speaking of the Crimson: I've seen claims on the net that it was the
>   first (commercially available?) workstation with a 64bit CPU. Is
>   that true?

Well it was the first machine with an R4K in it, and the R4K was one of
the first, if not the first 64bit RISC chip... so those claims may be
correct. However the OS was not 64bit for a long time, until 6.x days in
the mid/late 90's and Crimson was released in 91 I believe. Also the R4K
could not deal with 64bit pointers I think due to some bugs and whatnot.