[rescue] Closet cleaning IV

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Sep 14 11:14:02 CDT 2003

On Sunday, September 14, 2003, at 01:49  PM, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On 2003.09.13 10:58 Andrew Weiss wrote:
>> Methinks a 4000/90 would be good.
> Yes. I have two of them and a MicroVAX 3100 m95. This machines,
> together with the MicroVAX 4000 m1xx models, are the fastest VAXen you
> can put on your desk. You should consider a VAX 4000 mX00 (X >= 4) if
> you want a flor stand machine with QBus. But this machines are still
> MicroVAXen. A good, _real_ VAX for home use is a VAX 6000. A small
> config draws far less then 1 kW power and the machines can converted
> from three phase to single phase power.

My 3100 is an M38.

I think 1kW is too much.  I was using an SGI Crimson for a few months
and it pulls 1-1.1kW on a 110 V 20A receptacle... (I had it on a
standard receptacle by putting a new plug on it).  I'm really looking
for no more than 600W a machine and that's stretching things... NY
power is very expensive.  For a while we were at 13 cents a kwH.  I had
a $800 power bill for like 3 months with the crimson sucking juice.  So
in short I want something that A. (I don't have to modify anything
voltage wise... no plug surgery, no wall plate surgery, etc.), B. is
less than or equal to a PC power supply that sucks 600 W... or a dual
PS that sucks 300 each.

Andrew