[rescue] Closet cleaning IV

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Sep 14 12:49:40 CDT 2003

On 2003.09.13 10:58 Andrew Weiss wrote:

> Well I got this yesterday... and man I have to say I am now a true
> believe in all things VAX.  I was reading through the architecture
> stuff alone and there is stuff in there that Linux is just now trying
> to add. (re: a recent Linux Journal article on events based kernel
> scheduling for Telecom and real-time applications)... and this book
> is a VAX book from 1982.  Preemptive multi-tasking, demand paged
> virtual memory, etc. etc. etc.
Don't forget things like CI and clusters. VAXen and VMS made better
clusters 15, ahh 20 years back then what most verndors call "cluster"
now. Also keep in mind the CI was some sort of NAS / SAN. (Originally
invented for the even bigger PDP-10 / DECSYSYTEM 10 and 20 machines.)
Other vendors got this technology only a few years back.
> Methinks a 4000/90 would be good.
Yes. I have two of them and a MicroVAX 3100 m95. This machines,
together with the MicroVAX 4000 m1xx models, are the fastest VAXen you
can put on your desk. You should consider a VAX 4000 mX00 (X >= 4) if
you want a flor stand machine with QBus. But this machines are still
MicroVAXen. A good, _real_ VAX for home use is a VAX 6000. A small
config draws far less then 1 kW power and the machines can converted
from three phase to single phase power.
--

tsch|_,
           Jochen