[rescue] Closet cleaning IV

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sun Sep 14 21:02:39 CDT 2003

On 2003.09.14 09:14 Andrew Weiss wrote:

> My 3100 is an M38.
OK. Not quite fast (IIRC 3.5 VUPs). A m76 would be better, 7.8 VUPs. Or
a VS4k...
> I think 1kW is too much.
Not for a _real_ VAX. Think of a VAX 8650 (aka VAX 11/795, ECL CPU)
setup with several washing machine MASSBUS disk drives or racks full of
RAxx drives with HSCs and some 9 track tapes... You get more then 20 kW
quite easy with this machine. So 1 kW is nothing for a _real_ VAX like
a 6000. I think someone wrote on his homepage that he had a well
working setup with local DSSI or SDI drives for around 500 W.

I have to admit: It can be a problem to get that 400 kg VAX 6000 CPU
cabinet moved.
> I'm really looking  for no more than 600W
> a machine and that's stretching things...
VAX 4000 m[4-7]00. It has a 800 W PSU but I measured my VAX 4k400 with
CPU, one RAM card and two QBus cards, no disk at 160 W.
> NY power is very expensive. For a while we were at 13 cents a kwH.
That is mostly the same price as we have here in Kaiserslautern /
Germany.
--

tsch|_,
           Jochen