[rescue] offtopic: laserdisc players

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Fri Sep 5 10:34:45 CDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:05:30AM -0400, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> I have both a DVD player and a laserdisc player.  My DVD player takes
> quite a long time to identify audio cd's.  I like to use the laserdisc
> player for audio cd's since it doesn't have the lag time.  I realize
> Bill's DVD player may not do that, However.  Besides, it puts more than
> one function in one box.  If he's still using a standalone cd player,
> the LD player could replace a box rather than accompany it.

Which is an interesting thing about DVD players.

My parents have a fancy changer (panasonic, I believe) model, while I
have a cheap Apex.  The picture quality from my parents model is a bit
better (blacker blacks, mainly).  However, their's is so slow to respond
to commands and is extremely slow to recognize what sort of disc you
point in, and it has had more compatibility problems.  In general, I
prefer mine.

I should get off my butt and start modding mine.  I should start by
upgrading the PSU in it I guess.  The chips in it I believe are supposed
to be pretty good quality, so it is most likely something in the analog
electronics that is results in the inferior signal, and some people
indicate it is the cheap PSU.