[rescue] The other question...need Amiga advice!?!

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed May 28 18:12:45 CDT 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003 08:46:56 -0500, "Joshua D. Boyd"
<jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net> said:
> On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:27:30AM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
>
> You don't need a special monitor, but to use a regular VGA monitor, you
> will need something called a scan doubler.  Otherwise, you can use a
> video monitor.  If you are using the video toaster, you will want a
> video monitor.  If you buy a C1084 (the Commodore monitor I've seen used
> the most with these machines), it has a toggle to switch between the
> graphic display and video display.  But for real work, at least two
> monitors are a must.
>
> For network connectivity, you will need to add a NIC.  The machines have
> ISA, so a generic ISA card might work, if there are drivers.  I'm not
> sure that you will be able to easily add a NIC to a machine that already
> has a toaster in it though.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions
about the Amiga.  I have learned a little, and definitely realize that at
this point in my financial situation, I don't think I want to get another
potentially expensive hobby. :-)

And it sounds like the primary use for this system would be video
capture/editting, which I am not really into yet.

I'll stick to the Macs/x86/Suns for the moment.  Less likely to get
burned, since I know them better.

I am always surprised at the depth of information all of you seem to
have.  It's like having a wiki-on-demand. :-)

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller
  vraptor at promessage.com