[rescue] IRIX 6.5 on an Indy

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri May 16 19:43:31 CDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> Is the insecurity running the desktop something that can be
> stopped without patches... ?  or is it really that open ?

I don't believe it ever got sufficiently-patched.  The recommended fix
was to turn off the objectserver, which makes renders all the neat
features of IM useless.  That, and there are a few hundred local
exploits.  IRIX 5.3 is a neat OS, but don't run it on the Internet, and
don't give local accounts to anyone that you wouldn't trust with uid 0,
because if they want it, they can get it.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Kitties are well-designed, efficient, fast,
Thorndale, TX      (    aesthetically-pleasing, and respectable.