[rescue] IRIX 6.5 on an Indy

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri May 16 18:03:12 CDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Kevin wrote:

> Is anyone here running IRIX 6.5 on an Indy (R5K 180mhz, 128
> RAM)?

I'm running IRIX 6.5 on an R4600SC/133 Indy with 32MB of memory, and it
runs great, so long as I don't run X.  It just doesn't have enough
memory to deal with X, but it makes a great programming workstation.

> I know 5.3 was more along the lines of what it was designed for,
> but i'd like to know if 6.5 has worked acceptably for anyone here.

If you decide to go with 5.3, DO NOT expose that machine to the public
Internet.  There are many well-known and easily-exploited holes for 5.3.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Kitties are well-designed, efficient, fast,
Thorndale, TX      (    aesthetically-pleasing, and respectable.