[rescue] IRIX 6.5 on an Indy

Carl-Johan Schenstrom cjs at bluebox.pp.se
Fri May 16 18:07:31 CDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Kevin wrote:

> Is anyone here running IRIX 6.5 on an Indy (R5K 180mhz, 128
> RAM)?  I'm contemplating building up one of my Indys and
> taking it to work to use as a workstation for a while.  I know
> 5.3 was more along the lines of what it was designed for, but
> i'd like to know if 6.5 has worked acceptably for anyone here.

My wife and I used an Indy with an R4.4k 150 MHz, 64 MB RAM (ouch!) and
XL24 as our workstation at home until two years ago. It mostly ran a bunch
of xterms, Emacs, Netscape 4.x (Mozilla was way too unstable) and
sometimes I used VNC to access my Wintel box at the office. We both used
it for software development, quite a lot of Java which it handled fine
(even GUI stuff in AWT!). With twice as much RAM and a faster CPU it will
probably do just fine, with the possible exception of Mozilla..

There have been discussions before on this list about bringing your own
computer equipment to the workplace. You might want to read some of that
before deciding to go through with your plan.

//cjs