[rescue] Older-new mac stuff

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Tue May 13 16:46:52 CDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003 10:14:45 -0700, "Robert Novak" <rnovak at indyramp.com>
said:
> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:33:36AM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> > Hmm it's a little ouch for me... even for a FW powerbook G3...
> > considering one can almost get a G4 for that if one looks hard
> > enough... I'd value those at $600-700.
>
> I've been looking at Pismos for a while on ebay and craigslist, and
> I don't think these upgraded versions are bad at $800. $840 shipped
> comes down to $800 real price assuming it's shipped insured, and the
> G3 400s with under half a gig are going for $700 easily on eBay.

Most of those Pismos on eBay also have small HD's (6GB) and less
that 512MB of RAM, with no accessories other than the A/C adaptor.

Pismos hold their value b/c for $279 you can upgrade them to G4/500,
and they have features that make them really flexible. The right bay
can hold one of either: battery, DVD, floppy, superfloppy, zip, CDRW,
or weight-saver insert.  They have two PCMCIA slots.  VGA out with
no adaptor needed, and S-Video too.

They are a lot easier to user-service than the newer i/powerbooks.

Pismo's are tough machines.

> Are there many G4 powerbooks out there under $1k with 512MB+ RAM? I'd
> be getting interested if I could find one (and if I sell my Inspiron).

I'd like to hear where you were able to find a G4 with 512mb for less
than
$1K, too.  Though, to be frank, if it was a first-gen TiBook (or AlBook),
I wouldn't buy it.

Regards--
=Nadine=
--