[rescue] Older-new mac stuff

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue May 13 17:05:05 CDT 2003

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:46:52PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003 10:14:45 -0700, "Robert Novak" <rnovak at indyramp.com>
> > On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:33:36AM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> > > Hmm it's a little ouch for me... even for a FW powerbook G3...
> > > considering one can almost get a G4 for that if one looks hard
> > > enough... I'd value those at $600-700.
> >
> > I've been looking at Pismos for a while on ebay and craigslist, and
> > I don't think these upgraded versions are bad at $800. $840 shipped
>
> Most of those Pismos on eBay also have small HD's (6GB) and less
> that 512MB of RAM, with no accessories other than the A/C adaptor.

Yeah, I've seen 128-256MB RAM, 6-12GB disk, and often OS9 only.

> They are a lot easier to user-service than the newer i/powerbooks.
> Pismo's are tough machines.

Those two items are the ONLY reason I'd consider one anywhere near
my year-old Dell.

> > Are there many G4 powerbooks out there under $1k with 512MB+ RAM? I'd
> > be getting interested if I could find one (and if I sell my Inspiron).
>
> I'd like to hear where you were able to find a G4 with 512mb for less
> than
> $1K, too.  Though, to be frank, if it was a first-gen TiBook (or AlBook),
> I wouldn't buy it.

Just to clarify, Andrew said he could get them. I haven't seen them that
cheap lately.

I'm discussing a trade of a G3 500 and some dead presidents for my Inspiron,
although I just realized the seller/trader didn't mention optical disk. I
won't spend money or equity on a notebook without DVD playback capability.
It's more important to me than the extra 100MHz or a boost in memory. If
that doesn't go through, I'll try to ebay the I8200 and then look around
for a replacement.

By the way, I haven't seen them lately, but is there a G3 800 upgrade for
the Pismo, or is that only for desktops? I suspect for my purposes, higher
clock speed would be of more use than G4 vs G3.

Oh my, http://www.powerlogix.com/products2/bcg3pismo/ has a G3 900mhz
upgrade with return-to-Powerlogix service. $349 for G3-900, $299 for G4-500.
Seems this 900mhz upgrade is very new--released this month.
http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/03/05/06/ has a review.

--Rob