[rescue] Re: Ultra purchase

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 31 09:00:01 CST 2003

> Any comments on this item?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3409724328&
> category=20328

I agree with some of the other posters--even as a potential
"project" system (rather than a known-good system) that looks
like a Good Deal.  If I hadn't just bought an U60, then I'd use
BIN on that myself (if you didn't want it).  The only disadvantage
of which I'm aware is that the normal PS in those "Marathon"
rack-mount clones is *loud*--so you might not want this as a
desktop.

Since the original question was "what Ultra should I buy" a
couple of other recommendations:

1.  Anysystem.com (ebaysales at anysystem.com is the eBay user ID)
    is selling 1x360MHz/512MB/2x9.1GB/C3D Ultra60s on eBay for
    a very reasonable price--their S/H is a little steep but they're
    very reputable--I picked up one of the above config for $404,
    and worked out a deal with them to change it to a 2x360/0MB/no
    disk (but with two spud brackets) since I have parts sitting
    around here.  mrbill highly recommends them as well.
2.  I had been planning to take the U1/200E that this U60 will be
    replacing and turn it into a headless server, but if anyone
    wants it then make an offer.  It's about the quietest Ultra
    system I've ever dealt with--it has the (no longer available
    Sun FCO to replace the CPU fan with a bigger heatsink, and
    a nice quiet 18GB disk.  Frame buffer is a C3D Series 3 card.
    Memory negotiable.  Make an offer if it's of interest; I'm
    not going to bother putting it on eBay.  It's not the fastest
    system in the world, but I use it as an NFS server plus
    general desktop (including Mozilla + RealPlayer) on our
    lab network.