[rescue] Ultra SPARC purchase

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Mar 30 21:17:17 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 21:54, Steve Sandau wrote:
> Thanks for the digest. I think I'll take Dave's advice and pass on the IDE ultras, and look at a U2. I have some sbus cards that'd be nice to be able to use still. I assume that the 200 MHz ones are not really worth it, and that they'll all support 24-bit color...

I'm not sure i'd discount the 200mhz UltraSparc I's.  The price is
definitely right.  i missed the end of an auction that had a 200mhz
module for an ultra go go for less than $5.

Can anyone tell me why it is that those modules are so much cheaper than
the UltraSparc II's?  I thought that i've seen benchmarks where they
aren't a whole lot slower than the 300mhz modules, yet the 300mhz USII
goes for much more on ebay than the 200mhz USI.

Another question, do those processors (X1188A) have the vulnerability in
64-bit mode that the ultra1 has?  I know it's right on the border line,
but am not sure on which side it is, is that issue on all UltraSparc
I's?

	-Dan Sikorski