[rescue] Ultra SPARC purchase

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sun Mar 30 20:54:58 CST 2003

> I would suggest (money no issue) the following:
>
> E250 (just plain rocks, but find a lesser box as console/desktop)
> Ultra 60 (yea right!) SMP, dual SCSI, dual-head, 16 memory slots PCI
> Ultra 2 (I love SMP!) SMP, single SCSI, single creator, 16 memory slots
> SBUS
> Ultra 30 single SCSI, dual-head, 16 memory slots, PCI
> Ultra 5/10 (must be REAL nice config, but preferences vary) look for
> cache, SCSI, and framebuffer
> Ultra 1 (170e or 200e only) DAMN CHEAP these days.

Thanks for the digest. I think I'll take Dave's advice and pass on the IDE ultras, and look at a U2. I have some sbus cards that'd be nice to be able to use still. I assume that the 200 MHz ones are not really worth it, and that they'll all support 24-bit color...

Several decent deals on U2 boxes on eBay now...

Thanks.

Steve