[rescue] Ultra SPARC purchase

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 20:51:57 CST 2003

--- Steve Sandau <ssandau at bath.tmac.com> wrote:
> I've decided (with my wife's help ;) ) that it's time to graduate to
> an Ultra of some sort. I currently use, as workstations, a 110MHz
> SPARC 5 at home, and a dual 85MHz SPARC 20 at work. They're just a

> I have seen Ultra 5s on eBay for $200 BIN with 256M (or more) and a
> 4G drive. For basic workstation use (mail, browsing, light compiling
> and possibly a test installation of Oracle) is it worth spending more
> money to get a 10 or a 30??

I would suggest (money no issue) the following:

E250 (just plain rocks, but find a lesser box as console/desktop)
Ultra 60 (yea right!) SMP, dual SCSI, dual-head, 16 memory slots PCI
Ultra 2 (I love SMP!) SMP, single SCSI, single creator, 16 memory slots
SBUS
Ultra 30 single SCSI, dual-head, 16 memory slots, PCI
Ultra 5/10 (must be REAL nice config, but preferences vary) look for
cache, SCSI, and framebuffer
Ultra 1 (170e or 200e only) DAMN CHEAP these days.

Anything less, while quite servicable, I would not spend any real money
on. The most expensive system on that list is around $600, and the
lowest machine is closer to $100 (except for Ultra 5/10s, I am not
familiar with their current value.)

> Opinions? I think wome of this had been discussed here fiarly
> recently. Forgivce the repetition, but I didn't have any money then.
> ;)

Opinions are never a problem.

=====
Lionel