[rescue] Ultra SPARC purchase

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Sun Mar 30 19:47:58 CST 2003

> It also appears that the factory framebuffer config will only to 24-bit color at 800x600. Not good enough for me. Worth upgrading the video, or should I just buy a 10 instead??

Depends on the m64 revision/amount of memory on the board.  I don't
remember the details, other than running at least 1152x900 in 24bit on
the U5 I had on my desk at one point.

As for the difference between a U5, and a U10.  Its the case, that's
all. U10 is the 'expandable' version of a U5.

If SCSI is important, then consider the U30/U60's recommended by others.
If large storage is important IDE drives are very cheap, albeit w/ some
performance trace off. (Yes, I think sometimes size does matter. <duck>)

David