[rescue] Ultra SPARC purchase

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 21:05:15 CST 2003

--- Steve Sandau <ssandau at bath.tmac.com> wrote:
> U2s look pretty affordable. eBay has some dual 300 U2s for about the
> same price as a U30 with one CPU. I take it that U30s are just more
> expandable than U2s?

U2s are great boxes, period.

As a desktop, the U30 is better (entirely subjective - takes 2x 1.6"
SCA drives, 2x 5 1/4" CD-ROM/DAT openings, has two UPA slots ($22
Elites!), and is a tower config).

As a workhorse, the U2 is the best (they take the same CPUs), but it
has only one UPA slot (horizontal), can only take 1" internal drives,
and has the CD-ROM drive sticking out the side (like an SS/20). Far
from huge problems, but if you are looking at 2 similar priced systems,
itcould make a difference.

=====
Lionel